Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Redback Spider

A couple evenings ago, Christa spotted a redback spider on the wall outside my room. It had spun a web just under the window sill. We were able to get some good pictures with our cameras. Most of the other spiders we had seen were on the range where we are not allowed to have our cameras. [Boy, there was a great one (non-dangerous, but scary looking Huntsman spider) that dropped on Christa in the portapotty. I wish I had a picture of that one...]

I attempted to squish the Redback with a stick, but it eluded me, hiding in a crevice in my wall. The next morning, though, it was back again. This time, a shoe made quick work of it and its egg case. Generally, I have left all the bugs here alone, but this was not something I wanted near where I live.
Scene of crime and weapon:

Afterwards, I read that you need to be careful squishing spiders. If any remnants fly into your eye, it can cause a day or so of serious discomfort. Especially, take care if you think it would be fun to hit a large spider with a hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment