Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spider

Several different evenings, Christa spotted a beautiful spider nest outside my apartment. When I looked for the web in the morning, there was absolutely nothing there. The other night, I went out just after dusk and ran across the spider in the middle of making the web again. This happened 3-4 evenings in a row.
Web:

Spider:


While I was watching a fly flew into the web and got stuck. The spider dashed over, wrapped it up, and returned to working on the web. When the web was complete, the spider sat in the middle of the web, waiting for further bugs. When one got stuck, it wrapped it up, brought it back to the middle and ate it.

About 1:30 in the morning, I stepped out to see what was going on and the web was half gone. I don't know if the spider had dismantled it or whether he let it get destroyed by bugs hitting it. Either way, by dawn, there was no trace left of the spider or its web. Some species of spider (even in the US), eat their webs in the morning so they can reuse the materials.

higher res photos

1 comment: