Sunday, February 16, 2014

Woomera Part Deux

Trip 2 is finally under way. I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen between all our company's turmoil and the surprise ice storm in Atlanta causing the first of my flights to be cancelled. I called Delta at 3:30pm to reschedule my flights and got put into a queue to be called back. At 3:42am, they finally called me back and I got a 7am direct flight to LA with a 12 hour layover in LA. Ugh! I never want to see terminal 5 again...

Columbus was -1 degree Fahrenheit when I left for the airport at 4:45am. I was hoping for the largest temperature differential possible between Columbus and Woomera. When I arrived in Woomera, the high was only in the low 80s not the 110s it was a couple weeks ago. Logic tells me I shouldn't be disappointed...

The other travel issue was that my bike got lost in transit for 3 days. I took it through customs in Sydney and consigned it to the Virgin Australia ticket counter. For 2 days, they did not know where it was. I didn't want to stay in Adelaide waiting for the bike so I went ahead to Woomera and they promised to send the bike along when they could. Yesterday, they flew it into Olympic Dam and a couple of us drove up there to retrieve it. The flight hadn't arrived when we got there so we waited at baggage claim:
On our last trip, one of the guys we work with went to get a bag that had come in the previous day and found it had been sitting outside in baggage claim all night.

The plane arrived and there was my bike box right in front!

 On the way home, we stopped by Lake Mary in the hopes that the recent rain had filled it with a little water. No dice. At most, it was a little damp.

In the process we managed to get our vehicle mildly stuck in the sand and two of us had to get out and push.

No comments:

Post a Comment