Friday, March 14, 2014

Biking

I have done some biking on this trip, but not nearly as much as last time. Our work hours are crazier, it has been a lot hotter, and my car has been needed at work.
I planned to do more off road riding this trip so I bought some new improved puncture resistant tires. One of the local plants has completely defeated them. It has small, rock hard seeds, with a single sharp point. They are perfectly sized for my tread so they fit between the nobs and have just enough reach to puncture both the tire and inner tube. They leave tiny punctures that are impossible to find without submerging the tire in water and cannot be seen even when I know exactly where they are.
Offending seed:


One day I went a little farther out of Woomera than normal. As I was riding through one of the rare patches of mud here, I noticed that both tires were deflating. My bike was covered in stinky mud, it was 95 degrees, I was 4+ miles from home and had two flats and one spare tube. I found I could pump up both tires and then ride about 400 meters before they got so flat I had to stop. I did this about 4 times. In my frustration, I also managed to bounce my bike pump out of my bag twice and had to backtrack to find it. Eventually, I threw the bike in the bushes and walked the 3 miles back to Woomera, got the car and went back to recover the bike. I haven't ridden my bike since. There are some bikes here we can borrow. I thought they handled the seeds better, but when I went to borrow a bike this afternoon, I found the bike I rode the other day had a flat. Between that bike and my own, I have 4 intertubes to try to fix this afternoon...
Sorry state of my bike for the last 2 weeks (two flats and splattered in mud and dust):



I got a great new app (GPS Kit) that allows me to record where I ride and export it to Google Earth. In this way, I can overlay all my rides on top of each other and see everywhere I have ridden. I am now trying to cover as many paths/roads as possible. Here is what I have done so far. The single red path is my walk home after the double flat debacle. For reference, the yellow line is one mile long.


No comments:

Post a Comment